The 5 D’s of Effective Marketing Content
The biggest mistake that marketers make when developing their collateral materials is focusing too much on their brand and not enough on their products or services. Rather than focusing on the Who, what marketers should really be focusing on is the Why. Whether you are creating a new brochure or adding to a website, the best way to set yourself apart from the crown is with effective content.
Effective marketing materials should be constructed to persuade and inform. And as much as it pains me to say, design isn’t everything. You really need to have solid content to support your flashy graphics because once they snap out of their sense of awe and wonder about your stellar design (which they WILL experience 🙂 ), they will be ready to feast on the information your materials have to offer. If there is no substance to be had, they will leave and move on to a company that can satisfy their hunger.
The 5 D’s
In order to give yourself a fighting chance against all of the five-star competition out there you just need to ask yourself a few questions as you go through the process of developing your content:
- Definition – Is your product or service clearly defined and are all of the important features enumerated?
- Differentiation – Have you clearly stated how your product or service differs from your competitors and what specific pain it remedies?
- Demographics – Does your content clearly speak to your intended audience?
- Design – Is your content easy to read and understand and will it get your points across without confusing a layperson about your product or service?
- Distribution – Will the material you plan to produce be easy to distribute to your target market and be understood without interaction from a member of your sales team?
Answering these questions as you develop your materials will help your content to be more effective which will translate into more sales.